Sunday, July 31, 2005

Yes, Virginia, there is Gregorian Chant software

And here it is.

I make no claim about it; I haven't tried it myself, and I need to find some reliable source who has, before I download it. Call me neurotic about downloading .exe files. I do suspect it's totally on the level, though, after reading the FAQ What does the program Grégoire cost ?:
Developing the program was a considerable amount of work. To give you an impression: the complete application is compiled from over 45000 lines of code (almost 700 pages!). You might expect that such a program is sold for a very high price… but that's not the case! The program has been developed and deployed in a spirit of charity, and it will remain available along the same line, contributing to the dissemination of the vast patrimony of Gregorian chant. Today we consider it abnormal that a regular user would not make any contribution. Therefore we ask you, after you've tried the program for one month and when you wish to continue using it, to donate a minimum amount of €50 (about $50 or £35) to a charitable institution of your choice.


Hackers don't, in my experience, usually request a donation to charity. So I suspect the thing's OK. But if I can't find a reliable recommendation, I'll have to partition my hard drive or something, to try it out. Will re-post in that event.

4 comments:

Derek the Ænglican said...

I've got some good protective software so I'll give it a whirl. Based on the screen-shots from the homepage you may need your French dictionary at hand when you try it...

bls said...

Actually, I'm fluent in French, so it won't be a problem. In fact, I'm in the middle of writing them to see if they need some translation help (one part of the site mentions it).

It sounds like fun, doesn't it? Let me know how it is, wouldja?

Derek the Ænglican said...

Well now, fluency does make it easier. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I've used Gregoire in my music classes for several years. It's very good, easy to use. Produces excellently clear scores for students to sing from.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...