Sunday, October 03, 2010

Anglican Chant VII: Lincoln - Anglican Cathedral - Psalm 24: "The Earth is the Lord´s"



Here's Coverdale's Psalm 24. I know this chant, and have sung it, but can't place it at the moment; not to worry, for Scott will be along shortly to help! (Actually, I think this one is Stanford - and that I've sung Psalm 150 to this tune.)

[EDIT: Nope. Sir Watkin, in the comments, says: "Psalm 24: Barnby in E (written for this psalm)," and "Psalm 23: Goss in E."]

1 The earth is the Lord’s, and all that therein is *
the compass of the world, and they that dwell therein.
2 For he hath founded it upon the seas *
and prepared it upon the floods.
3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord *
or who shall rise up in his holy place?
4 Even he that hath clean hands, and a pure heart *
and that hath not lift up his mind unto vanity, nor sworn to deceive his neighbour.

5 He shall receive the blessing from the Lord *
and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
6 This is the generation of them that seek him *
even of them that seek thy face, O Jacob.
7 Lift up your heads, O ye gates, and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors *
and the King of glory shall come in.
8 Who is the King of glory *
it is the Lord strong and mighty, even the Lord mighty in battle.

9 Lift up your heads, O ye gates, and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors *
and the King of glory shall come in.
10 Who is the King of glory *
even the Lord of hosts, he is the King of glory.

And, unadvertised, Psalm 23 is included, too! Scott?

1 The Lord is my shepherd *
therefore can I lack nothing.
2 He shall feed me in a green pasture *
and lead me forth beside the waters of comfort.
3 He shall convert my soul *
and bring me forth in the paths of righteousness, for his Name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death , I will fear no evil *
for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff comfort me.

5 Thou shalt prepare a table before me against them that trouble me *
thou hast anointed my head with oil, and my cup shall be full.
6 But thy loving-kindness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life *
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

I actually like this translation better than than the much more well-known (EDIT: in the US, anyway) KJV; it's beautiful.

3 comments:

Sir Watkin said...

Psalm 24: Barnby in E (written for this psalm).

Psalm 23: Goss in E.

Interesting that you describe the King James version of Psalm 23 as "much more well-known". For (British) Anglicans I'd say that the King James versions of the psalms are practically unknown, because traditionally only the Prayer Book (Coverdale) versions were used in worship.

As you probably know, the 1662 revision of the Prayer Book introduced the King James version for the Eucharistic lectionary, but deliberately kept Coverdale for the liturgical psalter because it was felt that the older version was more singable.

bls said...

Thanks, Sir Watkin; much obliged.

Yes, the King James 23rd Psalm is the one known by heart in the US anyway; the Coverdale version is unknown, actually. I'm not quite sure why that is, but Anglicans have been the minority here for a long time now, and the KJV was always big, so probably that explains it. Even when we use Burial Rite I here (the old language, approximately), we always use the KJV because everybody knows it and it is very comforting for that reason.

I personally love the Coverdale version as well - but I only know it by heart because of the Rutter Requiem.

Thanks for coming by and leaving off valuable information! Really very much appreciated.

bls said...

(P.S.: I made the edit in the body of the post about the KJV Psalm 23 being more well-known in the U.S. For some reason, I thought that the case everywhere, but it makes sense that it's not....)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...