Saturday, June 04, 2011

The Introit for the Seventh Sunday of Easter: Exaudi, Domine ("Lord, hear my voice")

Here's an mp3 of this pretty Introit from JoguesChant, and their chant score and translation are below; the text is from Psalm 27, verses 7-9 and then 1.


Hearken, O Lord, unto my voice which has called out to you, alleluia; my heart declared to you: "Your countenance have I sought; I shall ever seek your countenance, O Lord; do not turn your face from me, alleluia, alleluia." The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?

Now, you will never go broke betting that the next verse of any Psalm is one that contains an Exaudi Domine.   "Lord, hear my voice" is pretty much everywhere in Psalms.  But I do not find a video of this Introit online, even though it is apparently the traditional one.  That's OK, though; the mp3 above is sung very nicely.

The collect for this last Sunday in Eastertide is this:
O God, the King of glory, you have exalted your only Son Jesus Christ with great triumph to your kingdom in heaven: Do not leave us comfortless, but send us your Holy Spirit to strengthen us, and exalt us to that place where our Savior Christ has gone before; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

As you can see, this collect makes reference to both Ascension Day, this past Thursday - the "exaltation" of Christ to heaven - and to the day of Pentecost next Sunday, in the request for the sending of the Holy Spirit.

The Gospel is again from John (John 17:1-11):
Jesus looked up to heaven and said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son so that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all people, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth by finishing the work that you gave me to do. So now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had in your presence before the world existed.

"I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything you have given me is from you; for the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours. All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them. And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one. "

Here's another Exaudi, Domine - one that takes its text, it says, from Psalm 17.   I'm including it because it's a pretty sung style - on the Mozarabic side, although it doesn't say so - and because it shows another kind of chant notation.  Here's the blurb from the page:

Exaudi, Domine, iustitiam meam, intende deprecationem meam: auribus percipe orationem meam.

Psalm 17(16): 1

Hear the right, o Lord, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer.

"Exaudi Domine" is the first verse of the offertory "Perfice gressus" sung by Reinier van der Lof in the Amsterdam Obrechtchurch on June 17th, 2009.

Saint Gall neumes: mid tenth century, CH-E 121, p. 86
Fluxus score: 2009, Geert Maessen, Amsterdam



Here's Palestrina's Exaudi Domine, sung - I think - by "Coro Ferdinando PAER - Colorno PR (2007)." The CPDL page says this text comes from Daniel!



Here's a beautiful modern Exaudi Domine, sung by the Chamber Choir Orfej Ljutomer of Slovenia, at the 2008 International Festival of Choral Music; the composer is, I believe, Ambrož Čopi.




ChristusRex.org lists all the propers for today:
Hebdomada septima paschæ
Dominica
Introitus: Ps. 26, 7.8.9 et 1 Exaudi, Domine... tibi dixit (not available)
Alleluia: Ps. 46, 9 Regnavit Dominus (not available)
Alleluia: Io. 14, 18 Non vos relinquam (3m32.2s - 3316 kb)
Offertorium: Ps. 46, 6 Ascendit Deus (1m33.8s - 1469 kb MONO)
Communio: Io. 17, 12.13.15 Pater, cum essem (not available)


Amazingly - or, actually, maybe entirely predictably - Salvador Dali painted an Ascension in 1958.  I've always loved the paintings that have Christ's feet sticking down out of the clouds - and this one is merely that idea taken to a Dali-esque extreme:




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...