Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Anglican Chant XXIII: Psalms 98-101

"The Schola Cantorum at St Andrew's Episcopal Church, Highland Park, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, sings Psalms 98-101 at Choral Evensong on 19 February 2012."  And very nicely done, too.



The words to these Psalms, from the Coverdale Psalter:

Psalm 98. Cantate Domino
OSING unto the Lord a new song : for he hath done marvellous things.
2. With his own right hand, and with his holy arm : hath he gotten himself the victory.
3. The Lord declared his salvation : his righteousness hath he openly shewed in the sight of the heathen.
4. He hath remembered his mercy and truth toward the house of Israel : and all the ends of the world have seen the salvation of our God.
5. Shew yourselves joyful unto the Lord, all ye lands : sing, rejoice, and give thanks.
6. Praise the Lord upon the harp : sing to the harp with a psalm of thanksgiving.
7. With trumpets also and shawms : O shew yourselves joyful before the Lord the King.
8. Let the sea make a noise, and all that therein is : the round world, and they that dwell therein.
9. Let the floods clap their hands, and let the hills be joyful together before the Lord : for he is come to judge the earth.
10. With righteousness shall he judge the world : and the people with equity.


Psalm 99. Dominus regnavit
THE Lord is King, be the people never so unpatient : he sitteth between the cherubims, be the earth never so unquiet.
2. The Lord is great in Sion : and high above all people.
3. They shall give thanks unto thy Name : which is great, wonderful, and holy.
4. The King's power loveth judgement; thou hast prepared equity: thou hast executed judgement and righteousness in Jacob.
5. O magnify the Lord our God : and fall down before his footstool, for he is holy.
6. Moses and Aaron among his priests, and Samuel among such as call upon his Name : these called upon the Lord, and he heard them.
7. He spake unto them out of the cloudy pillar : for they kept his testimonies, and the law that he gave them.
8. Thou heardest them, O Lord our God : thou forgavest them, O God, and punishedst their own inventions.
9. O magnify the Lord our God, and worship him upon his holy hill : for the Lord our God is holy.


Psalm 100. Jubilate Deo
OBE joyful in the Lord, all ye lands : serve the Lord with gladness, and come before his presence with a song.
2. Be ye sure that the Lord he is God : it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
3. O go your way into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise : be thankful unto him, and speak good of his Name.
4. For the Lord is gracious, his mercy is everlasting : and his truth endureth from generation to generation.


Psalm 101. Misericordiam et judicium
MY SONG shall be of mercy and judgement : unto thee, O Lord, will I sing.
2. O let me have understanding : in the way of godliness.
3. When wilt thou come unto me : I will walk in my house with a perfect heart.
4. I will take no wicked thing in hand; I hate the sins of unfaithfulness : there shall no such cleave unto me.
5. A froward heart shall depart from me : I will not know a wicked person.
6. Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour : him will I destroy.
7. Whoso hath also a proud look and high stomach : I will not suffer him.
8. Mine eyes look upon such as are faithful in the land : that they may dwell with me.
9. Whoso leadeth a godly life : he shall be my servant.
10. There shall no deceitful person dwell in my house : he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight.
11. I shall soon destroy all the ungodly that are in the land : that I may root out all wicked doers from the city of the Lord.


Composers, anybody?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Henry George Lay?
Or Attwood?

It sounds like a mixture of the two... Could also be Charles Wood.

bls said...

All good ideas! I just don't know - but I have a couple of readers who know the chants and/or look them up for me, so hopefully one of them will be along soon.

There are a couple of different chants here. One sounds a LOT like the Buck I recently posted - but it isn't, I don't think.

Well, who doesn't love a good mystery?, I always say....

Andrew said...

The composers are Thomas Hanforth, Ivor Atkins, George Elvey and Thomas Walmisley. I identified two of these before noticing that they're written in the video.

bls said...

Thanks, Andrew. That was pretty dopey of me....

(I have gotten so used to the composers not being included that I didn't even notice!)

Thanks again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...