Thursday, September 22, 2011

Anglican Chant XV: Psalm 84, Anglican Chant - Bairstow - YouTube

Psalm 84, Anglican Chant - Bairstow - YouTube

Another version of this lovely Psalm, from "St. Andrew's Schola Cantorum" (not sure where, but I think it might be Pittsburgh):



Here's the Coverdale text:
1 O how amiable are thy dwellings *
thou Lord of hosts!
2 My soul hath a desire and longing to enter into the courts of the Lord *
my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
3 Yea, the sparrow hath found her an house, and the swallow a nest where she may lay her young *
even thy altars, O Lord of hosts, my King and my God.
4 Blessed are they that dwell in thy house *
they will be alway praising thee.
5 Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee *
in whose heart are thy ways.
6 Who going through the vale of misery use it for a well *
and the pools are filled with water.
7 They will go from strength to strength *
and unto the God of gods appeareth every one of them in Sion.
8 O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer *
hearken, O God of Jacob.
9 Behold, O God our defender *
and look upon the face of thine Anointed.
10 For one day in thy courts *
is better than a thousand.
11 I had rather be a door-keeper in the house of my God *
than to dwell in the tents of ungodliness.
12 For the Lord God is a light and defence *
the Lord will give grace and worship, and no good thing shall he withhold from them that live a godly life.
13 O Lord God of hosts *
blessed is the man that putteth his trust in thee.

3 comments:

Matthew M said...

Any Catholic version to compare it in polyphony or plainchants?

Matthew M said...

You deleted my question without answering it!

bls said...

No - I have comment moderation set. (A notice gets posted about this.) I didn't see it until now.

I don't know how to answer that question, sorry. I don't know what you mean by a "Catholic version"....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...