Monday, April 02, 2012

Ach Herr, mich armen Sünder (Bach Cantata BWV 135)

Heard this premiered last night at Bach Vespers. The Cantata was written for the Third Sunday after Trinity, but works well for Palm Sunday; the final movement is the tune used for the Holy Week hymn "O Sacred Head, Sore Wounded."  And let me again say how great the singing is at Holy Trinity; Lutherans can really rock the joint!



Here's the text and translation from Bach-Cantatas.com:
1. Chorus [Verse 1] (S, A, T, B)

Ach Herr, mich armen Sünder
Straf nicht in deinem Zorn,
Dein' ernsten Grimm doch linder,
Sonst ist's mit mir verlorn.
Ach Herr, wollst mir vergeben
Mein Sünd und gnädig sein,
Dass ich mag ewig leben,
Entfliehn der Höllenpein.

2. Recit. (T)

Ach heile mich, du Arzt der Seelen,
Ich bin sehr krank und schwach;
Man möchte die Gebeine zählen,
So jämmerlich hat mich mein Ungemach,
Mein Kreuz und Leiden zugericht;
Das Angesicht Ist ganz von Tränen aufgeschwollen,
Die, schnellen Fluten gleich, von Wangen abwärts rollen.
Der Seele ist von Schrecken angst und bange;
Ach, du Herr, wie so lange?

3. Aria (T)

Tröste mir, Jesu, mein Gemüte,
Sonst versink ich in den Tod,
Hilf mir, hilf mir durch deine Güte
Aus der großen Seelennot!
Denn im Tod ist alles stille,
Da gedenkt man deiner nicht.
Liebster Jesu, ist's dein Wille,
So erfreu mein Angesicht!

4. Recit. (A)

Ich bin von Seufzen müde,
Mein Geist hat weder Kraft noch Macht,
Weil ich die ganze Nacht
Oft ohne Seelenruh und Friede
In großem Schweiß und Tränen liege.
Ich gräme mich fast tot und bin vor Trauern alt,
Denn meine Angst ist mannigfalt.

5. Aria (B)

Weicht, all ihr Übeltäter,
Mein Jesus tröstet mich!
    Er lässt nach Tränen und nach Weinen
    Die Freudensonne wieder scheinen;
    Das Trübsalswetter ändert sich,
    Die Feinde müssen plötzlich fallen
    Und ihre Pfeile rückwärts prallen.

6. Chorale [Verse 6] (S, A, T, B)

Ehr sei ins Himmels Throne
Mit hohem Ruhm und Preis
Dem Vater und dem Sohne
Und auch zu gleicher Weis
Dem Heilgen Geist mit Ehren
In alle Ewigkeit,
Der woll uns all'n bescheren
Die ewge Seligkeit.


1. Chorus [Verse 1] (S, A, T, B)

Ah Lord, me a poor sinner
Blame not within thy wrath;
Thy solemn rage yet soften,
Else is my hope forlorn.
Ah Lord, may'st thou forgive me
My sin and mercy send,
That I have life eternal
And flee the pain of hell.

2. Recit. (T)

Ah, heal me now, thou soul's physician,
I am so ill and weak;
One could in truth my bones all number,
So grievously have this my toil and woe,
My cross and sorrow dealt with me;
My countenance
Is full of tears and now all swollen;
Like rapid streams they are, which down my cheeks are rolling.
My soul is now with terror torn and anxious;
Ah, thou Lord, why this waiting?

3. Aria (T)

Comfort me, Jesus, in my spirit,
Or I'll sink now into death;
Lift me, lift me through thy dear kindness
From my spirit's great distress.
For in death is nought but stillness,
Where for thee no thought is given.
Dearest Jesus, if it please thee,
Fill with joy my countenance!

4. Recit. (A)

I am from sighing weary,
My soul hath neither strength nor might,
For I the whole night through,
Oft lacking peace of mind and calmness,
In copious sweat and tears am lying.
I fear nigh unto death and am with mourning old,
For my great fear is manifold.

5. Aria (B)

Yield, all ye evildoers,
My Jesus comforts me!

He brings, when past are tears and weeping,
The sun of joy once more its radiance;
The storms of sadness are transformed,
The enemy must sudden perish
And their own darts recoil against them.

6. Chorale [Verse 6] (S, A, T, B)

In heaven's throne be glory
With lofty fame and praise
To Son and to the Father
As well in equal wise
To Holy Ghost with honor
For all eternity,
Who shall us all let share in
Eternal blessedness. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...